Sunday, December 14, 2014

Demonstrating & Recording ELA CCSS on iPad

This month my class is focusing on opinion writing as it is a part of our ELA writing standards.
  • Write opinion pieces in which they introduce the topic or name the book they are writing about, state an opinion, supply a reason for the opinion, and provide some sense of closure. (W.1.1.)
Because it is a holiday season, I thought it would be fun to have my students write an opinion piece on whether they should be on Santa's naughty list or nice list. Of course everyone chose a nice list:) They successfully stated two reasons why they should be on the nice list. I enjoyed reading their opinion writing so much that I decided have them record their writing use an app, Tellagmi.

I like the Tellagami app since it is very simple to use. Even though I wish they had kid-looking avatars, my students have always enjoyed their creation. This app used to be entirely free, but now they have added some paid features. We still use the free version, and in my opinion it is just fine for classroom use.

My students also wrote about the book they enjoyed reading. They recorded their opinions using the app ChatterPix Kids.

Then we attached the created video to the book using an augmented reality app Aurasma.
This is what it looks like when students scan the book using Aurasma.



The students have been enjoying viewing their friends' recommendations and reading the books.

Another focus has been on describing a character in a story. My students worked on describing Santa Claus using an anchor chart.
Then they rewrote the information from Santa's point of view. "I am _____________." " I have ________." "I (do)_____________." Since my students did such a wonderful job on this assignment, I wanted them to share their writing using the app called Puppet Pals.
Since we have a director's pack (paid), we have an access to Christmas characters. My students enjoyed recording their writing project, but also adding a little bit of creativity and personality!


So much fun!

All of their projects are posted on the students' blog. This year my students have been labeling their posts by subject areas, so that their blogs serve as a digital portfolio and easy to track their performance & progress.