Saturday, November 23, 2013

Global Read Aloud Projects

Thanks to Pernille Ripp @pernilleripp for organizing a great project, the Global Read Aloud. http://globalreadaloud.wikispaces.com/

My class participated in the Eric Carle author study. My students loved Eric Carle's art and stories, and I loved discussing the central message of each story with my students.  We were excited to see another class joined our discussion on Twitter!



GRA also gave us opportunities to connect and collaborate with other classes.  The classes we connected were:
Karen Lirenman's grade one students in Canada(@KLirenman) "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"
Amanda Cavin's first grade students in Georgia (@CavinAmandacav) "The Rooster off to See the World"
Melvina Kurashige's sixth grade Japanese class in Hawaii (@mkurashige) "Where Are You Going?"

We met them via Skype to read the stories together as a kick-off for a collaboration projects.  Ms. Kurashige's sixth graders read the story "Where Are You Going?" in Japanese to us.  My students' eyes were as round as could be to hear a different language!  We tried reading the story in Japanese after the Skype call:)  We want to know more words in Japanese.  We hope to connect with them for another Japanese lesson in the future!

With Karen and Amanda's classes, we co-created books that followed the pattern of Eric Carle's books. Each student created a page and saved them in the shared Dropbox files.  We put the pages together on iMovie.

One of six "The Very Hungry Student" books
**App used by my students for this book; Explain Everything 

One of four "First Graders Off to See the World" books

**Apps used by my students for this book; PicCollage, Doodle Buddy & Explain Everything 

The students are so proud to be such wonderful authors and illustrators.  Collaborating with other classes made this experience even more special.  I'm so fortunate that I have gotten to know these great teachers through Twitter.  When I approached them with these projects, they were so open to discuss via Skype or over GoogleDoc, and bounce some ideas around to make it successful for all students.  I am looking forward to future collaboration!