Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Students Recording their Thinking on Padlet

We are currently studying rocks in my first grade classroom.  My students are to know three types of rocks and how they are formed by the end of this unit.  Past years I always read a book that explained three types of rocks to teach them what they were.  Since I have been enjoying listening to my students' thinking and learning this year, I decided to do something different to introduce three types of rocks.

I set up three stations.  Each station had a picture of rocks and a QR code.  My students looked at the picture and discussed what they saw and what kind of questions they had.  Then they scanned the QR code with the iPad, which led them to a Padlet wall.  The students recorded what they observed at each station on the wall.







And here are the Padlet walls with the students' thinking.






After completing the walls, we viewed a short video explaining three types of rocks.  My students were able to identify igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks and label the stations with correct rock type.

Padlet was a fun way of gathering students' input.  I had three iPads going at each station.  They were able to write on the wall simultaneously without any problems.  It was a little tricky to get a text box to pop up.  They had to double tap on the screen, which they were not used to doing...