So... why not have them share more of their learning? Here is what I am envisioning:
- students talking about their learning with their peers
- students taking ownership for their learning
- students creating presentations to show their learning
- students sharing their learning with the WORLD
How can we accomplish this? I have decided to start small. I am taking 30-40 minutes of a day twice a week for this sharing session. Since I only have 10 iPads, I will have half of the class work on creating sharing on one day, and the other half on next day. I will give my students free choice of topic (math, science, social studies, literacy, etc.) and choice of app.
Today was my first day of sharing day. I am happy with what I saw today. My students didn't have any trouble picking a topic (phew! That means they are filled with learning, right?). Here are some topics that they chose:
- Dillen chose to share what he wrote in his reading journal yesterday. He made a "text-to-self" connection after listening to "Franklin and the Tooth Fairy" He used a Tellagami app.
2. Ava and Madison worked together to explain the water cycle using Educreations.
They recorded a water cycle song. Love it!
3. Fran decided to make a web about air. She used an app called Popplet.
What a great time we had! I am very proud of my first graders!
I just want a clever name for this sharing session, though... Do you have any good ideas? I would appreciate it if you could leave an idea!