Thursday, January 3, 2013

Educreations and Kidblog

My students have had plenty of practice solving story problems through CGI (Cognitively Guided Instruction) and have shown me amazing ways of thinking and solving math problems. Today I challenged them to write a story problem.  I was inspired by what Matt Gomez's kindergarten students were doing (click HERE to view his post) and decided to have my first graders try the app Educreations.


They worked with a partner to write a story and find the images.  After we created the lesson, we inserted the video onto our student blog post.  Tomorrow the students will visit their friends' blogs, solve their story problems and write a matching number sentence and answer as a comment.

In the future, I want my students to be able to do this independently during my Math Daily 5 time.  It would be a great Math Writing option.